Turning the Other Cheek

The Proclamation of a Heavenly Kingdom that Turns the Other Cheek on Earth

Nonresistance and Peace | Better than Passivism and Nonviolence

 

Josiahs Scott, Josiahs@trueconnection.org, www.TrueConnection.org

 

>> Additions/ TODO!

>> compare: RiFi > Give To Everyone?

 

History of this Teaching

The Blessedness Of David’s Example has been refined over many years (around 2004-2012) within Divorce and Remarriage Repentance Revolution, and was then recompiled 7/1/12 into this work.

BIBLICAL WAR?: Sun, 4/27/03; 7/9/04; 7/18/08; 3/11/10; 7/1/12 (recompiled); 7/23/12

Don’t Defend: 6/29/13 (recompiled here from ~ 2008 or so)

 

Forgiveness Instead of Execution – The Blessedness of David’s Example. 1

Mosaic Death Penalty Legislated. 2

Mosaic Death Penalty Enforced. 3

Mosaic Death Penalty Amended. 3

The Law – The Highest Order of Social Justice. 7

 

 

 

Forgiveness Instead of Execution – The Blessedness of David’s Example

This is the entire basis of being forgiven by faith in Jesus (Rom_4:1, etc.)

 

>> Do I need this here? Remove or re-title or redo in some way?:

 

A Reminder that Laws Have Been Updated

We have effectively seen that the Mosaic divorce and remarriage laws were completely amended, verse by verse, by the Law of Jesus. Despite this, we still need to focus on the end of verse 4 of Deuteronomy 24, which specifically prohibits returning to the first. Let us be reassured of its disqualification in New Testament theology from another profound Scriptural Truth.

 

>> another HardHeart/ hard heart passage!

>> remove this content, and only reference the main principle

A Reminder Concerning Hardness from Being under the Law

But before we go much further, please remember and consider that if we are still taken aback by this strong language despite all the Biblical examples given, it is if nothing else, because we have ignored the clear message throughout the Bible that we are not to be under the Mosaic Law, (example: Rom_6:14). Yes, if we do aspire to take up the Law, Paul says, “Christ [χριστὸσ – anointed one] will profit you nothing!” (Gal_5:2 CAB). If we are still trying to be under the Law of Moses, it cannot be apart from the hardness of heart that brought about the Law in the first place. And it is not as though any of this says at all that we have to throughout the Old Testament in order to understand these things: We do not have to wonder and stagger here as though the New Testament did not already specifically answer how this law is fulfilled and applied in the New Testament. On the contrary, to actually keep this law it is required that one does this in light of Jesus fulfillment of it in truth rather than returning to it in the oldness of its use for unsaved people. Any attempt to ignore the update Jesus gave to this is a return to flesh-based righteousness, and this is a dreaded crime we must seek to be clear from!

>> Move somewhere previous to this…this focuses on divorce instead of the issue at hand:

Some people actually think that it is still permissible to make concessions for divorce due to hardness of heart, and then they want to act like they are also under the New Covenant at the same time! Let us be courageously clear: The Bible makes no small point that a life of “hardness of Heart” has to do with one who is going to hell (Pro_28:14; Joh_12:40). Therefore, if we would rather be under the Law of Jesus, (1Co_9:21; Gal_6:2 – as we covered in chapter 1 of the book) then we will not make concessions this way. Once the foundations of this law and its entire essence has been explicitly fulfilled and updated, anyone who seeks to permit divorce or forbid the faith of reconciliation is an opponent to what God created in authenticating the New Covenant. But for the sake of those still struggling and for the sake of being thorough in establishing every pillar of truth which God has provided for us, we will even do more to make these things as clear and solid with much confirmation from the Scriptures.

 

Mosaic Death Penalty Legislated

>>R

 

Exo 21 – Mosaic Death Penalty: Eye For Eye

Exo_21:14-25 CAB  And if anyone lie in wait for his neighbor to slay him by craft, and he go for refuge, you shall take him from My altar to put him to death[compare: 1Ki_1:50-51; 1Ki_2:28-34; 2Ki_11:12-16]  23 *But if it be perfectly formed, [* MT: “And if any injury occurs” (WEB)] he shall give life for life,  24  eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,  25  burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

 

The “eye for eye” command is repeated again in Lev_24:17-21

 

>> included in the book:

Num 35 – Mosaic Death Penalty: No Ransom! No Exceptions! – Or You Defile the Land

Num_35:30-34 CAB  Whoever kills a man, you shall slay the murderer on the testimony of witnesses; and one witness shall not testify against a soul that he should die.  31  And you shall not accept ransoms for life from a murderer who is worthy of death, for he shall be surely put to death.  32  You shall not accept a ransom to excuse his fleeing to the city of refuge, so that he should again dwell in the land, until the death of the high priest.  33  So shall you not pollute with murder the land in which you dwell; for this blood pollutes the land, and the land shall not be purged from the blood shed upon it, but by the blood of him that shed it.  34  And you shall not defile the land on which you dwell, on which I dwell in the midst of you; for I am the Lord dwelling in the midst of the children of Israel.

 

Things to Notice from Num 35

·        The land is defiled by murder

·        The only way it can be clean again is by killing the murderer

·        Because of this you cannot take a ransom to keep the guilty alive

·        Instead you are not allowed to promote the pollution of the land by murder, but must instead “purge [the land] from the blood shed upon it” by killing the murderer

·        This is to be done without respect of persons (that is, it is enforced equally no matter who is guilty)

 

(Also see: Deu_19:10-13; This law also agrees with the principals given after the flood: Gen_9:4-6)

 

Mosaic Death Penalty – Stone Adulterers

>> refer to other refs condemning adultery

Deu_22:22 CAB  And if a man be found lying with a woman married to a man, you shall kill them both, the man that lay with the woman, and the woman; so shall you remove the wicked one out of Israel.

 

There are many times throughout the Bible where both murder and adultery are linked to the death penalty in the same way. (See Jam_2:10-11.)

 

Notice the Strong Implications of This Death Penalty

please note that the Mosaic Death penalty is specifically given in every book of Moses’ Law: Exo_21:14-25; Lev_24:17-21; Num_35:30-34; Deu_19:10-13; Deu_22:22. So we know that this is a serious Law. Repetition denotes emphasis. A (good) parent’s instruction is far more serious when they repeat it.

 

Mosaic Death Penalty Enforced

1Sa_15:33 CAB  And Samuel said to Agag, As your sword has bereaved women of their children, so shall your mother be made childless among women. And Samuel hacked Agag to pieces before the Lord in Gilgal.

 

Samuel was not just some prophet with a long white beard. This was a prophet capable of violence! You don’t mess with Samuel if he gets a chance to enforce the justice of the Law of Moses. In addition to this example, there are many other examples throughout the Old Testament of enforcing this Law, including the following passages:

 

2Sa_3:23-30; 2Sa_20:8-13 – Joab’s bloodshed

1Ki_2:5-6, 1Ki_2:28-34 – How Joab was repaid

Num_15:30-36; 2Sa_4:5-12; 2Sa_21:5-9 – Other examples

 

Oba_1:15 WEB  …As you have done, it will be done to you. *Your deeds will return [τὸ ἀνταπόδομά σου ἀνταποδοθήσεται – “your recompense shall be returned” (CAB)] upon your own head.

 

Mosaic Death Penalty Enforced During New Testament Times

But so many have tried to suggest that such an enforcement of the Mosaic death penalty was not possible during New Testament times when the Jews were under Roman occupation, since this was illegal for them (Joh_18:29-31), and even before that Gomer was not put to death when she sinned against Hosea. But don’t forget that the Jews of Jesus and Paul’s day also tried to enforce this death penalty many times in the New Testament, even though it was officially illegal:

 

Joh_8:3-5, Joh_8:7, Joh_8:58-59; Joh_10:31-33; Joh_11:8; Act_7:58-60; Act_14:5, Act_14:19. And also compare: Mat_15:4; Mar_7:10; Luk_20:6; Act_5:26.

 

Mosaic Death Penalty Amended

 

David Fully Deserved The Just Mosaic Death Penalty

David, Bathsheba, and Uriah

 

2Sa_11:3-4 CAB  And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba the daughter of Eliab, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?  4  And David sent messengers, and took her, and went in to her, and he lay with her…

 

2Sa_11:14-17 CAB  And the morning came, and David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah.  15  And he wrote in the letter, saying, Station Uriah in front of the most severe part of the fight, and retreat from behind him, that he may be wounded and die.  16  And it came to pass while Joab was watching against the city, that he set Uriah in a place where he knew that valiant men were.  17  And the men of the city went out, and fought with Joab. And some of the people of the servants of David fell, and Uriah the Hittite died also.

 

2Sa_11:23-24 CAB  And the messenger said to David… your servant Uriah the Hittite is dead…

 

 

David is Forgiven – Contrary to the Mosaic Death Penalty

 

After David was confronted…

2Sa_12:13 CAB  And David said to Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said to David, The Lord has put away your sin; you shall not die.

 

(Also compare Psalm 51)

 

After reading all of these passages, we have got to just stop here and be amazed… What did God just say? “The Lord has put away your sin; you shall not die.” Some kind of non-standard, supernatural forgiveness just took place totally outside what the law had made provision for, so that even God would not have David die!

 

Notice that David committed both adultery and murder in his sin, but was not put to death, but instead out the mouth of God it was declared to David by Nathan:

 

“you shall not die,” (2Sa_12:13 CAB). – Why is this and how can these things ever possibly be??

 

No wonder the New Testament uses this* as an amazing picture of the forgiveness that is now available by faith in Jesus!

 

[* There are many places where the NT does this, including for example, Rom_4:6-8, as we can look at in a moment]

 

Jesus Declares the Mosaic Death Penalty Amended

Mat_5:38-39 WEB “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.

 

Don’t miss that Jesus is pointing to the Mosaic Death penalty: Exo_21:14-25; Lev_24:17-21; Num_35:30-34; Deu_19:10-13; Deu_22:22.

 

Jesus Explains why it is Different for the New Covenant

Mat_5:21-22 WEB “You have heard that it was said to the ancient ones, ‘You shall not murder;’ and ‘Whoever shall murder shall be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I tell you, that everyone who is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment...

 

Mat_5:27-28 WEB “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery;’ 28 but I tell you that everyone who gazes at a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

 

Do you see that now Jesus is putting us all on the same plane with each other? Both those who have committed sin in their heart, as well as those who have committed sin in their flesh are counted guilty before God, particularly under the New Covenant which is based on the heart and not the flesh.

 

>> – combine caught in the act!

>> reimported into book:

Jesus Enforces the Death Penalty As Truly Amended

Joh_8:3-11 CAB Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman who had been caught in adultery, and having stood her in the midst,  4  they said to Him, “Teacher, we found this woman committing adultery, in the very act.  5  Now Moses, in our law, commanded to cast stones at such. Therefore what do You say?”  6  But this they said, testing Him, that they might have an accusation against Him. But Jesus, stooping down, began to write on the ground with His finger, not taking notice.  7  And while they were continuing questioning Him, rising up, He said unto them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone at her.”  8  And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.  9  And those who heard it [some source texts have here: “and being convicted under the conscious” (Jos.Trans), (not including the “M6” text)] began to go out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman being in the midst.  10  And standing up and seeing no one but the woman, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”  11  She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

 

[Technical Textual Note: Despite some “scholarly” controversies over this account of “The Woman Taken In Adultery,” the legitimacy and authenticity of this passage is documented in the appendix resource entitled, “Extra Notes on Church History”]

 

Joh_8:3-11 WEB The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman taken in adultery. Having set her in the midst, 4 they told him, “Teacher, we found this woman in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now in our law, Moses commanded us to stone such. What then do you say about her?” 6 They said this testing him, that they might have something to accuse him of. But Jesus stooped down, and wrote on the ground with his finger. 7 But when they continued asking him, he looked up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground. 9 They, when they heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning from the oldest, even to the last. Jesus was left alone with the woman where she was, in the middle. 10 Jesus, standing up, saw her and said, “Woman, where are your accusers? Did no one condemn you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more.”

 

·        On every aspect and detail, and on every level, according to the Law of Moses, this woman deserved to die

·        The Law specifically said that she must be “found” in the act to enforce the death penalty: “And if a man be found lying with a woman … you shall kill them both...” (Deu_22:22 CAB).

·        This passage shows her legal and just and verified guilt twice, in the words, “…a woman who had been caught in adultery…” (Joh_8:3 CAB) and in the words of the Pharisees as they insisted upon her authorized guilt, “Teacher, we found this woman committing adultery…” (Joh_8:4)

·        Later in this chapter, we have another situation where Jesus says, “It is also written in your law that the testimony of two men is valid.” (Joh_8:17 CAB). Because “we” means more than one man, this means that Jesus was obliged to accept the testimony of these men against the adulterous woman (“we found this woman…”) as a valid claim (which He in fact did in the words, “go… sin no more” - Joh_8:11)

>> Get this from D ivReMExtras!!!:

[This principal of “two or three witnesses” is documented in much greater detail in Chapter 3, under the chart entitled, “Mosaic Guidelines for Dealing with Accusations of Infidelity”]

·        With or without the source text variation, “and being convicted under the conscious” (Jos.Trans.) it is clear that the woman’s accusers recognized their guilt enough to walk away with nothing more to say

·        It is amazing that even though Jesus worked mercy for the woman which was contrary to the Law that they had from God through Moses, they were still “convicted by the law as transgressors,” (Jas_2:9 CAB; and compare this with Joh_8:8-9).

·        The words, “Neither do I condemn you” mean, “Neither do I enforce this just Mosaic death penalty upon you, which you deserve and have been fully convicted of according to God’s righteous standard,” (see Rom_1:32) But “sin no more” meaning “Respond according to the mercy shown you and be saved from sin, because this was its purpose.”

 

We have seen from the story of the woman caught in adultery that Jesus clearly enforced the Mosaic Death penalty as being (socially) remitted, but this is definitely not the only example we have in Scripture:

 

>>R!

Luk_9:53-56 WEB and [Jesus] sent messengers before his face. They went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, so as to prepare for him.  53  They didn’t receive him, because he was traveling with his face set towards Jerusalem [i.e. they could see that He was traveling to go be with Jews, but they were Samaritans (with well-established racial conflicts)].  54  When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from the sky, and destroy them, just as Elijah did?”  55  But he turned and rebuked them, "You don't know of what kind of spirit you are.  56  For the Son of Man didn't come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." They went to another village.

 

Don’t shrug this passage off lightly! They deserved to have fire consume them for rejecting Jesus, but this was not Jesus’ agenda. Jesus did not come to enforce the justice of the death penalty, but to save people from being crushed under it!

 

Joh_3:17 WEB  For God didn’t send his Son into the world to judge [κρίνῃ – or condemn/ bring justice to bear upon] the world, but that the world should be saved through him.

 

Because of Jesus, Paul Was Forgiven Just like David

In addition to everything we have looked at, don’t forget how Paul said this very thing:

 

Act_13:39 WEB  …by him everyone who believes is justified from all things, from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.

 

And don’t forget that Paul himself was also in many ways a man forgiven of the guilt of murder (Act_7:58; Act_8:1-4; Act_9:1-2; Act_22:4, Act_22:20; 1Co_15:8-10; Gal_1:13-14; Php_3:6). And if we all now have access to this blessed forgiveness, this puts us all on the same plane together. This is the basic good announcement that Paul commanded all preachers to preach, and to even use Paul’s testimony (of being freely forgiven of capital sins) as a pattern for the saving faith of this covenant (1Ti_1:3, 1Ti_1:11-16, 1Ti_1:18).

Because of this, everyone who believes in Jesus cannot justly demand the life of another, having realized that he himself is a forgiven murderer, because “all have sinned,” (Rom_3:23 CAB). And not only this, but under the New Covenant it says that there is “no difference:

 

Rom_3:22-24 KJ2000 …for there is no difference [or distinction (WEB/ CAB)]:  23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;  24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ [χριστῷ  – anointed one] Jesus:

 

And James also repeats what we have been saying:

 

Jam_2:10-11 WEB …whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” said also, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

 

Fulfilling a just death penalty under the New Covenant means that heart-criminals cannot truthfully enforce it on other criminals, because they themselves know that they have been forgiven in the heart for the same crimes that others have committed in the flesh.

(and that means all of us who are hoping to be saved by Jesus in truth)

 

The Law – The Highest Order of Social Justice

The Law of Moses should truly be called the highest order of social justice for us, because it was a social government approved and ultimately given by God.

 

>>! Added to: the Law is Not Sin

Gal_3:21 WEB  Is the law then against the promises [ἐπαγγελιῶν – lit. announce-upons; fig. firm pronouncements] of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could make alive, most assuredly righteousness would have been of the law.

Similarly, in Rom_9:31 Moses’ Law is called “a law of righteousness”. No, the Law is definitely not Sin! (Also see: 1Ti_1:9.)

 

The amending of the just (Mosaic) death penalty has been accomplished under the reality of the Kingdom of God, because under this,

 

Jam_2:13 WEB  ...judgmentG2920 is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgmentG2920

 

[That is “κρισις” (krísis) in Greek: The judgment that brings justice].

 

>> should I repeat this previously to make the correlation through the gospels?

> I have kept WEB for all of these Jas refs

 

True Heart Justice Means that Social Justice is Temporarily Delayed

Now that the heart counts, fulfilling personal justice means delaying social justice by mercy, and placing it into God’s hands until Judgment Day. And this was the case with the woman taken in adultery. And Jesus is pointing at us as well as the Pharisees if we hold people accountable to social justice. In this we should be asking ourselves, “When has anyone ever so sinned against me, but that God has not forgiven me 100 times as much and more for the crimes that I have committed against Him?” So also in this passage James points to us, showing us that we should have mercy.

But concerning Justice, we must first acknowledge that the Mosaic Death penalty was indeed just, and that it is the realization of the truest justice for the sins that it addresses:

 

>>R

Rom_1:32 CAB …known the righteous judgment* of God, that those practicing such things are worthy of death

­­­­

[* δικαίωμα – this Greek word is hard to represent in English, but the lit. root of this word is righteousness/ justice (δικαιοσύνη – as previously mentioned in Rom_1:17) and in v. 32 this righteousness is formed into a type of decree, decision, or judgment call which God has made and determined.]

 

The Rest of the New Covenant Enforces the Death Penalty As Truly Amended

 

>> Check if this is CAB (it is unspecified):

The Law says it like this: “…life for life, 24 Eye for eye…” (Exo_21:23-24) because “… you shall not defile the land” (Num_35:33) and it says that there shall be no respect of persons (even if they are a king or peasant): Lev_19:15; Deu_1:17; Deu_16:19; 2Ch_19:7; Pro_24:23; Pro_28:21. And this death penalty also demands adulterers to be stoned, as well as fornicators, and homosexuals, and the like.

Even now, if we will have a righteous heart we will know and feel that this death penalty Law is indeed just. Yes, it is just and righteous that such a death penalty be enforced upon the sons of men holding them accountable for their sin, and that it be done to all men alike making no distinction. But please see this all-important fact: God does not give any one what they deserve who are justified by Him!

 

Rom_4:6-8 CAB  just as David also speaks [λέγει] of the blessing [μακαρισμὸν] of the man to whom God accounts a [λογίζεται – lit. decides/ determines (with) words; fig. declares/ accounts/ recons; (to have)] righteousness apart from works b [ἔργωνi.e. of the law of Moses (as specified all throughout Romans)]:  7  “Blessed are they [μακάριοι] whose lawless deeds have been forgiven [ἀφέθησαν], and whose sins were *covered over [* ἐπεκαλύφθησαν];  8  Blessed is the man to whom the LORD shall by no means impute a [λογίσηται – lit. decide/ determine (with) words; fig. declare/ account/ recon; (to have)] sin.

 

[(A) Notice that “accounts” (v.6) and “impute” (v. 8) are the same Greek word (λογίζεται), which means to, decide/ determine (with) words, but most versions misrepresent this as different theoretical/ “positional” “legal words” (such as “impute”) all throughout Romans. Protestants have been doing this with bible versions for hundreds of years to promote the heresy that denies that God actually speaks (λογίζεται) people into (εἰς) real righteousness (δικαιοσύνην), (Rom_4:5) – which is not represented in most English versions.

(B) “works… of the law of Moses,” for example: Rom_2:15; Rom_3:20; Rom_3:27; Rom_3:28; Rom_7:5; Rom_9:32;]

>> update Dar

 

God did not give David justice according to what he deserved for committing adultery and for murdering a righteous man, but quite the contrary, God said to him, “you will not die,” (2Sa_12:13). And when God prophesied this unto David, this was directly contrary to the just Law of Moses, and was said previously to cause the land to sin! The same is true for Paul who was a participant in murder, as well as the woman taken in adultery. And the same is true for anyone else who hopes to inherit heaven by being justified by Jesus.

It is not at all that God has removed justice by establishing a new covenant. In fact, the New Covenant comes with greater justice and potential for condemnation than the first covenant, (Heb_10:28-31). This is because now God’s available covenanted relationship with men specifically includes not only the sins done in the flesh, (Rom_8:3; 2Co_5:10) but also the sins of the heart and mind (Mat_5:21-22, Mat_5:27-30; Rom_7:23, Rom_7:25; Jas_4:8)

In doing this, God has raised a higher standard of righteousness embedding it in this covenant that He now offers mankind, by requiring righteousness all the way down to the heart through supernatural intervention, and no longer simply demanding separation from uncleanness in the flesh. But (as opposed to the Old Covenant) God has not only made it a just thing for us not to be condemned to hell who repent and believe Him, but He has necessarily accomplished this infusion of obedience by giving real disciples favor, so that we don’t have to live in sin any longer and continue earning death: Compare Joh_5:14; Joh_8:11; Rom_6:6, Rom_6:12; Rom_7:5; Rom_8:3, Rom_8:13; Col_2:11; 1Pe_2:24; 1Pe_3:18

To those whom Jesus said, “neither do I condemn you,” He also said, “go and sin no more,” (Joh_8:11), and in the same way He said previously to a man who was healed, “Sin no more, lest something worse may happen to you,” (Joh_5:14 CAB).

Though they justly deserved it, Jesus did not call for their immediate physical condemnation in this life (the death penalty), because of the way that this covenant of mercy operates, but won’t He indeed judge and condemn them to death in both their physical person as well as their very soul at the Judgment, who continue in their sin until their death? Certainly He will! This is why He warned them concerning the next life, after answering their physical need by saying, “Sin no more!” (Joh_3:35; Joh_5:22, Joh_5:27).

    However, while saying all of this, please don’t misunderstand me; I am not against the death penalty at all, (though I myself would never enforce it in this life). If you read this and think that I am somehow protesting the government’s ordained responsibility to enforce the death penalty, then you have misunderstood both me and the Scriptures. On the contrary, God has clearly said:

 

Rom_13:2-5 CAB  Consequently the one resisting the authority has opposed the ordinance of God, and those opposing shall receive judgment to themselves.  3  For rulers are not a fear to good works, but to evil… 4  For he is God’s servant to you for good. But if you do evil, fear; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s servant, an avenger for wrath to the one practicing evil.  5  Therefore it is necessary to be subject, not only on account of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.

 

By the way: This is what often separates real Christians from lawless pacifists. Those who submit under the authority of the Scriptures recognize both realities at the same time: (1) the government has been ordained as a recognized institution by God to even kill people as may be necessary for maintaining and enforcing social justice, and at the same time, (2) Those who hope to be saved from sin by the infusion of the righteousness of God cannot coexist as part of this earthly, governmental ordinance and follow Jesus at the same time, since Jesus willingly received social injustice for the sake of establishing a Kingdom that is not of this earth. – If you actually follow Jesus, you cannot enforce social justice while He Himself willingly received social injustice (Mat 26:51-52; Rev_13:10)!

    From all of these things it is extremely clear that you cannot be both under a “social justice” agreement with God as well as a covenant that makes you spared from the justice you deserve from God. You have to decide whether you want to enforce social justice now in this age and face moral justice later with God at the judgment, or else enter into a covenant that saves you from your heart-injustices and go and show others this exact same mercy!

    So God has made it clear that He has, in fact, given the government the sword to begin with, and ordained them unto this. And He also says of him that, “he is Gods minister.” But to those soldiers who seek repentance of their own (moral) sins, and hope to find obedience to His Kingdom, God says,

 

Luk_3:14 KJV …do violence to no man…

 

Or more literally:

 

Luk_3:14 Jos.Trans

.

 …do not shake* no one through*

[* διασείσητε (diaseísēte) – lit. shake (seísēte) through (dia) meaning to rough up; fig. intimidate or “do violence” (KJV); (see G1286)]

This is because it is quite impossible to fulfill these verses, and kill someone:

 

Rom_13:9-10 CAB  if there is any other commandment, in this word it is summed up, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  10  Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

 

Phi_2:15 CAB  …that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault …among whom you shine as light bearers in the world…

 

Mat_5:38-45 CAB  “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’  39  But I say to you not to resist an evil person. But whoever shall slap you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also…  43  “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor, and you shall hate your enemy.’  44  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you,  45  so that you may prove to be sons of your Father in heaven; because He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and He sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

 

Those who advocate the death penalty now should also come to grips with the fact that justice also demands the death of adulterers just as much as it does of murderers! For us to say that we insist on promoting the death penalty without promoting enforcing it upon fornicators, adulterers, homosexuals, and the like as well is hypocritical, because concerning all who do such things, God has clearly said that they are deserving of death (Rom_1:32).

I have seen people zealously rage for justice to come upon a well-known murderer, but I don’t see those same people offended because the law enforcement will not put them to death for their past fornications, heart adulteries, and murderous hatreds! How hypocritical! This is the very reason Jesus said, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone at her,” (Joh_8:7 CAB) but we have already cast the first stone in our hearts by condemning them, and have so insisted upon our own death.

 

Mat_7:2 CAB …with what measure you measure, it will be measured back to you.

 

This is a fearful and dreadful thing to fall upon your soul in the Day of Judgment!

 

Jam_2:8-13 WEB However, if you fulfill the royal law, according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well. 9 But if you show partiality, you commit sin, being convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” said also, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak, and so do, as men who are to be judged by a law of freedom. 13 For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

 

And don’t we find ourselves as David when he sinned?

 

2Sa_12:5-7 CAB  And David was greatly moved with anger against the man; and David said to Nathan, As the Lord lives, the man that did this thing shall surely die.  6  …because he has not spared.  7  And Nathan said to David, You are the man that has done this!...

 

Full version

2Sa_12:5-7 CAB  And David was greatly moved with anger against the man; and David said to Nathan, As the Lord lives, the man that did this thing shall surely die.  6  And he shall restore the lamb seven-fold, because he has not spared.  7  And Nathan said to David, You are the man that has done this! Thus says the Lord God of Israel: I anointed you to be king over Israel, and I rescued you out the hand of Saul;

MT version

2Sa_12:5-7 MKJV And David’s anger was greatly kindled against the man. And he said to Nathan, As the Lord lives, the man who has done this shall surely die. 6 …because he had no pity. 7 And Nathan said to David, You are the man!…

For this reason the New Covenant recognizes the adultery of the heart, and this is why Jesus says “He who is without sin… let him be the first to cast a stone…” (Joh_8:7 CAB). It is not just unto physical adultery that He says this, but rather, ‘He who has not done the same sin in their heart, be the first to enforce the death penalty upon this sinner who has done it in the flesh’ (Compare Mat_5:27-30).

 

Is there Ever Biblical War In the New Covenant?

Zec 9:10 WEB  I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem; and the battle bow will be cut off; and he will speak peace to the nations: and his dominion will be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.

Also see: they will not learn war any more… harm or destroy on My holy mountain

 

Is Fighting Is Bad?

Basic Passages of Not Fighting

Turn Other Cheek/don’t fight  Mt.5:38-41/ Lk. 6:29

Weapons of OUR warfare  2Cor 10:4

Did not come to destroy  Luke 9:56

     

 

Moses’ Staff

6/22/17

 

Num 20:8 WEB  Take the rod, and assemble the congregation, you, and Aaron your brother, and speak to the rock before their eyes, that it give forth its water; and you shall bring forth to them water out of the rock; so you shall give the congregation and their livestock drink.

Num 20:8 “Take your rod, and call the assembly, you and Aaron your brother, and speak to the rock before them, and it shall give forth its waters; and you shall bring forth for them water out of the rock, and give drink to the congregation and their cattle.”

Num 20:8  Λαβὲ τὴν ῥάβδον καὶ ἐκκλησίασον τὴν συναγωγὴν σὺ καὶ Ααρωνἀδελφός σου καὶ λαλήσατε πρὸς τὴν πέτραν ἔναντι αὐτῶν, καὶ δώσει τὰ ὕδατα αὐτῆς, καὶ ἐξοίσετε αὐτοῖς ὕδωρ ἐκ τῆς πέτρας καὶ ποτιεῖτε τὴν συναγωγὴν καὶ τὰ κτήνη αὐτῶν.

Num 20:9 WEB  Moses took the rod from before Yahweh, as he commanded him.

Num 20:9 And Moses took his rod which was before the Lord, as the Lord commanded.

Num 20:9  καὶ ἔλαβεν Μωυσῆς τὴν ῥάβδον τὴν ἀπέναντι κυρίου, καθὰ συνέταξεν κύριος·

Num 20:10 WEB  Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly together before the rock, and he said to them, Hear now, you rebels; shall we bring you water out of this rock for you?

Moses Strikes the Rock

Num 20:10 And Moses and Aaron assembled the congregation before the rock, and said to them, “Hear me, you disobedient; must we bring you water out of this rock?”

Moses Strikes the Rock

Num 20:10  καὶ ἐξεκκλησίασεν Μωυσῆς καὶ Ααρων τὴν συναγωγὴν ἀπέναντι τῆς πέτρας καὶ εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς Ἀκούσατέ μου, οἱ ἀπειθεῖς· μὴ ἐκ τῆς πέτρας ταύτης ἐξάξομεν ὑμῖν ὕδωρ;

Num 20:11 WEB  Moses lifted up his hand, and struck the rock with his rod twice: and water came forth abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock.

Num 20:11 And Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his rod twice; and much water came forth, and the congregation drank, and their cattle.

Num 20:11  καὶ ἐπάρας Μωυσῆς τὴν χεῖρα αὐτοῦ ἐπάταξεν τὴν πέτραν τῇ ῥάβδῳ δίς, καὶ ἐξῆλθεν ὕδωρ πολύ, καὶ ἔπιενσυναγωγὴ καὶ τὰ κτήνη αὐτῶν.

Num 20:12 WEB  Yahweh said to Moses and Aaron, Because you didn't believe in me, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them.

Num 20:12 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you have not believed Me to sanctify Me before the children of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.”

Num 20:12  καὶ εἶπεν κύριος πρὸς Μωυσῆν καὶ Ααρων Ὅτι οὐκ ἐπιστεύσατε ἁγιάσαι με ἐναντίον υἱῶν Ισραηλ, διὰ τοῦτο οὐκ εἰσάξετε ὑμεῖς τὴν συναγωγὴν ταύτην εἰς τὴν γῆν, ἣν δέδωκα αὐτοῖς.

Num 20:13 WEB  These are the waters of Meribah; because the children of Israel strove with Yahweh, and he was sanctified in them.

Num 20:13 This is the Water of Strife, because the children of Israel spoke insolently before the Lord, and He was sanctified in them.

Num 20:13  τοῦτο ὕδωρ ἀντιλογίας, ὅτι ἐλοιδορήθησαν οἱ υἱοὶ Ισραηλ ἔναντι κυρίου καὶ ἡγιάσθη ἐν αὐτοῖς.

 

 

Peter’s Sward  

       Lk. 22:36-38  – Peter told to buy & bring a sword

(and its use @ Gethsemane)    Mt 26:47  – Judas & Guards came with swords & clubs

  [Mat 26:55, Mk 14:33 & 48, & Lk 22:52]

    ¯  Jn. 18:10-11   Jesus: “Simon put away your sword …”

          (‘Must drink cup’ & gives servants name)

    Lk. 22:49-51   – Simon: “Shall we slay with the sword?...”

       [Mk 14:47]

       Mt. 26:51-54   – “He who lives by sword dies by sword”          

Jesus & Pilet    ­  Jn. 18:36     ¯  ­

Kill those who kill w/ Sward  Rev. 13:10  – (Fulfilled of Mt. 26:51-54)

Christ burns wars?    Isea 9:5-7  – (V.6 -"Prince of Peace"… but He still kills…

Þ Rev 1:16, 2:12 & 16, 19:15 & 21 0r Vs. 11-21)

 

 

 

 

 

No Vengeance

Heb 10:30 - vengeance is mine

Rom_12:19

 

Don't Defend Yourself

Court

Mat_5:17

1Co_6:1

divide inheritance

Luk_12:13-15

Luk_12:54

Confiscation of Goods

Heb_10:33-35

 

Involving the Authorities

Court

Mat_5:38-42

compare with:

Mat_5:25-26

Luk_12:57-58 -

(based on season Luk_12:54-56)

1Co_5-6

consider:

widow & unjust judge?

report to police

sowrd for a reason

Calling the Police Can Be Right

Act 23:12-24

 

Can Governmental Workers Be Saved?

Governmental Believers

Ethiopian Unic (Government)    Act. 8:27 (Story is Vs. 27-39 35=What was explained)

Paul's Roman Soldier Friend?   

Soldiers CAN Be Saved

(Contrary to some pacifist groups)

Roman Centurion W/ Great Faith 

(Jesus said he was going to Heaven)

Do violence to no man!   

("What must we do??"

He didn't say, 'Stop being a soldier')

the whole palace guard heard truth   

?A Sword *For Authorities    Rom 13:1-6

 

The Love of Violence Has Always Been Wrong

-Think media purity-

Plugs up ears at talk of blood shed (be sensitive)

Innocent as doves

If you do not fight, Still be brave:  "If kingdom was of world, my servants would fight!" (Jn. 18:36)

 

Other Thoughts And Questions

Our citizenship in Heaven    Phil 3:29

OK to admit temporal citizenship  Act_?:? – Paul used it

Prayers & Thanks for all    1Tim 2:1

Jesus came to bring [a spiritual] Sword  Mt. 10:34-37, Þ Eph 6:17 & Heb 4:12

Ironically pierces Marie as well  Lk 2:35  -A sword will pierce your own soul also

"I would be about father's bis" (__)

His mother came o take charge of Him

& knowing their thoughts…

Who are my mother brothers??

Or Crucifixion?     Marie stood weeping

Beat swords into plows

Do not murder   

 

“Love Always Protects!” (1Cor 13:__) vs. Peter Example?

(Jn. 18:10-11  – “Simon put away your sword…”-As seen above)

-Even in defending a friend is not permitted here!

· It is not inherently New-Covenant to never be physically violent

Jesus drove out those in the temple violently! -(whipping them with 3 cords)

If you don't phisically oppose the disobediance of your child then…

-you do not love them (Pro) and are so eventually not saved (1Jn)

-Disqualify your self for church leadership (children in subjection, slaves will not hear you unless you beat them, the hair is no different than a slave as long as he is a child)

 

General Thoughts and Explanations

We don’t need to assume that it is possible for Jesus’ Kingdom to preexist on this earth before His coming.

We don’t need to offer them a solution to follow Jesus and keep doing what they are doing.

The President would need to “forsake all” to be saved

The Kingdoms of this world are all condemned

The rock is coming which is not carved with human hands

If there could be a government that was righteous, would it not be preserved into Jesus’ reign? We can say, most certainly it would continue. But we know for sure that all of the kingdoms of this world lay under a condemnation, and none of them will survive the rock that is coming, which we know as Jesus’ Kingdom and world rule, which will violently crush all kingdoms of this earth.

In truth we need not insist on making room somewhere in our theology saying: certainly we must make it possible for the US of A to be a christian nation and still have civil functionality! No sirs, as much as this kingdom is appreciated and we enjoy its relative social peace, we also set neither our hearts nor our real citizenship here knowing that it will certainly perish under God’s Judgment, whether sooner or later.

Since all of the kingdoms of this world are condemned in this way, we do not feel compelled to give a palatable and gratifying answer to those who enforce social justice as to how they may be saved while continuing their kingdom and society on this earth.  As much as we enjoy the use of Windows, do we necessarily say that Bill Gates must have an answer as to how to keep his financial empire going while answering Jesus’ call to forsake all for Him? No not at all! It could very well be God’s will for Microsoft to perish if Mr. Gates himself desires to come into God’s kingdom, and we will give Him no easy answer when Jesus’ demand comes down upon his life and resources: Forsake all!

Now about our government, Suppose the president wishes to be obedient to the faith? I see no specific command as to how he is to defend this land as his office calls for. But to be Biblical we ought not crumble under pressure to give him an easy answer as to how he should face war and defense if the whole nation desired to follow Jesus.  Who is to say that it would not be God’s desire for another nation to come in and take over and occupy the land?  Would that be too high a price for a nation to pay which wanted to follow Jesus? On what basis do we insist that the answer for following Jesus kingdom necessarily would require a way to maintain the way we have always done things in our own fleshly kingdom?  Wouldn’t we worry about our life style and economy most of all? “How hard it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom” and the same could very well hold true for a rich nation which was unwilling to surrender her civil identity for the sake of following Jesus.

Jesus did not get involved in government

The Classical enigma

But the disciples were asking the right questions

But though Jesus did not get involved with Government, neither did He provide us with an answer to what a military person should do when they want to follow righteousness. Although maybe He said things in person, He left us with nothing in Scripture with such a direct prognoses.

The only thing even close to this is when the centurions came to John the Baptist and said, “and what should we do?” and the only answer we are given is: “Don’t rough people up” – Though many will say this has to do with extorting money, this is the only solution that comes close to a direct prescription as to the way a military person should alter their life style to enter the kingdom. It does not specify money directly, and the absence of violence would be the only understanding which would harmonize with the Kingdom principal of not taking up a sword. Government is given a sword by God Himself, but those who follow His Son are commanded to lay it down.

Now Jesus affirmed in no uncertain terms that the Centurion would go to Heaven (most specifically the “Marriage Supper”). What might we suppose that this man did after having been so interestingly affected by faith in Jesus and seeing what He did?

Would it be unreasonable to say that this man continued a life eager toward the things of Jesus’ message. Certainly he did, because he was foretold to be one who would ultimately be faithful.  Now suppose we consider this retroactively:

What if he had been at the garden and had said, “I will protect You Lord, because I have been appointed by God as an avenger for Justice and I have been given the sword for a reason!”

Would we even dare say that Jesus would say “Go ahead! Since you are in government strike this injustice down!” – NO, we know surely Jesus would have said “Put away your sword because he who lives by the sword will die by it.” (as He said to Peter)

 

 

 

 

 

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: TrueConnection.org – free Bible studies

 

Copyright © Josiahs Scott, All rights reserved (see below)

 

The only reason I put this here is to avoid people misusing this work with bad motives. This is officially copyrighted to protect it from those with money in mind, and to preserve it for free distribution, especially in the unlikely event that someone might think to make money off of it rather than maximizing its distribution. You are permitted and encouraged to freely copy and redistribute this work in its entirety, via standard copy machine or electronic documentation as long as you make no money off of it. If you wish to reproduce this work on any larger scale, please contact me at Josiahs@trueconnection.org. You may also quote this document, by citing the reference as:

 

“[Name of Bible Study]” By Josiahs Scott, www.TrueConnection.org

 

 

PersonalNotes
************************************************************

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Site Meter

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: unique visitors counter

************************************************************

 

 

 

Additions

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

C:\Files\Proclamation\Spiritual-Interface\Embrace-Providence-to-Defeat-Fear--PART-4--8.19.18.mp3

Strong TOC Themes and critical points (more and mroe as it goes on past the beginning)

---------------

 

AbTr:

“And we should aspire to be like the prophets and those Godly people of old, though we do not kill those we oppose (Mat_5:11-12; 1Th_2:15; Heb_11:1-12:2; 1Pe_3:3-6; Eph_6:12). ”

 

>> Also, any more DAR or other BBS refs to re-compile?

---------------

See: Fir: Peace Keepers vs. Peace Makers

---------------

 

1/9/18

 

Elliott Nesch Why did Jesus command His disciples to buy a sword? Here's my thoughts on why Jesus commanded His disciples to buy a sword. For Jared Naegeli and any others who are interested:

Seeking to find biblical support for military combat, people mention how Jesus told the disciples to buy swords. They argue that the Lord instructed them to do so in order to protect or defend themselves. The passage says:

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”
So they said, “Nothing.”
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.”
And He said to them, “It is enough.” (Luke 22:35-38)

Were Jesus' disciples to henceforth be an armed group of ministers ready to use violence to defend themselves or join the armies of Rome or Israel to fight for secular conflicts? If that is the correct interpretation of the text, then why did none of the disciples in the New Testament ever defend themselves, or commend self-defense, or join the military? The most probable answer is that Jesus did not intend for His disciples to think in terms of armed defense for the rest of their ministry. First of all, Jesus did not say that the swords were for the purpose of self-defense or warfare.

Besides, Jesus said two swords were enough; He didn't instruct them to get ten more swords. Two swords among twelve men is hardly enough to adequately defend them from potential threats, especially if they were going to be traveling alone or in small groups. Two swords were enough for what? Instead of using our imagination to determine why Jesus told His apostles to buy swords, let us determine from Jesus Himself why He commanded them to buy swords. Jesus plainly states the reason for the sword: “he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end” (Luke 22:36,37). Thus, He instructed His disciples to buy a sword so that the prophecy could be fulfilled: “And He was numbered with the transgressors” (Isaiah 53:12). One sword among twelve men was enough to fulfill this prophecy. Therefore, when they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords,” Jesus said to them, “It is enough.” Two swords were enough to fulfill the prophecy of Isaiah 53:12. Clearly Jesus' command to buy a sword was to fulfill Isaiah 53:12, though the Scriptures don't spell out exactly how this was fulfilled in the context of Luke 22.

2

 

Manage

LikeShow more reactions

· Reply · 2h

Elliott Nesch

Elliott Nesch What about Romans 13? Civil authorities are clearly ordained by God to execute wrath upon evildoers.

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor. (Romans 13:1-7)

At times, God will use civil authorities to punish evildoers. In this sense, they lessen evil in society and are “God's minister for good.” But the preceding verses tells Christians that we are not to pick up the sword and bring vengeance upon evildoers (Romans 12:17-21). Just because a civil authority is “appointed by God” does not make that position an acceptable Christian duty. They are simply used by God to “execute wrath.” These civil authority is “God's minister,” God's διάκονος (diakonos) in Greek, also translated “servant.” In the Old Testament, similar language is used of Nebuchadnezzar:

Behold, I will send and take all the families of the north,’ says the Lord, ‘and Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, My servant, and will bring them against this land, against its inhabitants, and against these nations all around, and will utterly destroy them, and make them an astonishment, a hissing, and perpetual desolations. (Jeremiah 25:9)

God also used King Cyrus of Persia as His instrument and minister “to subdue nations before him” (Isaiah 45:1). 2 Chronicles 36:22 says, “The Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom” in order to build the temple of God at Jerusalem (See also Ezra 1:1-6:14). Isaiah prophesied of King Cyrus saying by the word of the Lord: “‘He is My shepherd, And he shall perform all My pleasure” (Isaiah 44:28).

The early Christians understood that the governing authorities were appointed by God to bear the sword and punish evil. But they also understood that as Christians they were part of another kingdom and they served another King who commanded them to love their enemies, a command which is irreconcilable with military combat.

4

 

Manage

LikeShow more reactions

· Reply · 1h · Edited

Paul Gerstmann

Paul Gerstmann Right, we are to focus on becoming a new creature for to inherit this heavenly kingdom and not to put our efforts into changing man's world, at least not beyond how our own change can edify another. As the Apostle Paul said " No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier "

 

 

---------------

Jas_5:6  -- he does not resist you

 

---------------

 

11/6/17

 

Deu_19:13 WEB  Your eye shall not pity him, but you shall put away the innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with you.

Deu_19:13 LB  Your eye shall not spare him; so shall you purge innocent blood from Israel, and it shall be well with you.

Deu_19:13  οὐ φείσεται ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου ἐπ᾿ αὐτῷ, καὶ καθαριεῖς τὸ αἷμα τὸ ἀναίτιον ἐξ Ισραηλ, καὶ εὖ σοι ἔσται.

 

Deu_19:19 WEB  then you shall do to him as he had thought to do to his brother: so you shall put away the evil from the midst of you.

Deu_19:19 LB  then shall you do to him as he wickedly devised to do against his brother, and you shall remove the evil from yourselves.

Deu_19:19  καὶ ποιήσετε αὐτῷ ὃν τρόπον ἐπονηρεύσατο ποιῆσαι κατὰ τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἐξαρεῖς τὸν πονηρὸν ἐξ ὑμῶν αὐτῶν.

Deu_19:20 WEB  Those who remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil in the midst of you.

Deu_19:20 And the rest shall hear and fear, and do no more according to this evil thing in the midst of you.

Deu_19:20  καὶ οἱ ἐπίλοιποι ἀκούσαντες φοβηθήσονται καὶ οὐ προσθήσουσιν ἔτι ποιῆσαι κατὰ τὸ ῥῆμα τὸ πονηρὸν τοῦτο ἐν ὑμῖν.

Deu_19:21 WEB  Your eyes shall not pity; life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Deu_19:21 Your eye shall not spare him; you shall exact life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, and foot for foot.

Deu_19:21  οὐ φείσεται ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου ἐπ᾿ αὐτῷ· ψυχὴν ἀντὶ ψυχῆς, ὀφθαλμὸν ἀντὶ ὀφθαλμοῦ, ὀδόντα ἀντὶ ὀδόντος, χεῖρα ἀντὶ χειρός, πόδα ἀντὶ ποδός .

>> TOC | JCH

>> TSK

 

---------------

 

Was it Ever Right to Hate Your Enemy?

10/8/17

 

Deu_7:1 WEB  When Yahweh your God shall bring you into the land where you go to possess it, and shall cast out many nations before you, the Hittite, and the Girgashite, and the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite, seven nations greater and mightier than you;

Deu_7:1 LB  A Chosen People “And when the Lord your God shall bring you into the land into which you go, to possess it, and shall remove great nations from before you, the Hittite, the Girgashite, the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite, seven nations more numerous and stronger than you,

Deu_7:1  Ἐὰν δὲ εἰσαγάγῃ σε κύριος ὁ θεός σου εἰς τὴν γῆν, εἰς ἣν εἰσπορεύῃ ἐκεῖ κληρονομῆσαι, καὶ ἐξαρεῖ ἔθνη μεγάλα ἀπὸ προσώπου σου, τὸν Χετταῖον καὶ Γεργεσαῖον καὶ Αμορραῖον καὶ Χαναναῖον καὶ Φερεζαῖον καὶ Ευαῖον καὶ Ιεβουσαῖον, ἑπτὰ ἔθνη πολλὰ καὶ ἰσχυρότερα ὑμῶν,

Deu_7:2 WEB  and when Yahweh your God shall deliver them up before you, and you shall strike them; then you shall utterly destroy them: you shall make no covenant with them, nor show mercy to them;

Deu_7:2 and the Lord your God shall deliver them into your hands, then you shall strike them; you shall utterly destroy them: you shall not make a covenant with them, neither shall you pity them;

Deu_7:2  καὶ παραδώσει αὐτοὺς κύριος ὁ θεός σου εἰς τὰς χεῖράς σου καὶ πατάξεις αὐτούς, ἀφανισμῷ ἀφανιεῖς αὐτούς, οὐ διαθήσῃ πρὸς αὐτοὺς διαθήκην οὐδὲ μὴ ἐλεήσητε αὐτούς.

 

 

Deu_7:15 WEB  Yahweh will take away from you all sickness; and none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which you know, he will put on you, but will lay them on all those who hate you.

Deu_7:15 LB  And the Lord your God shall remove all sickness from you; and none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which you have seen, and all that you have known, will He lay upon you; but He will lay them upon all those that hate you.

Deu_7:15  καὶ περιελεῖ κύριος ἀπὸ σοῦ πᾶσαν μαλακίαν· καὶ πάσας νόσους Αἰγύπτου τὰς πονηράς, ἃς ἑώρακας καὶ ὅσα ἔγνως, οὐκ ἐπιθήσει ἐπὶ σὲ καὶ ἐπιθήσει αὐτὰ ἐπὶ πάντας τοὺς μισοῦντάς σε.

Deu_7:16 WEB  You shall consume all the peoples whom Yahweh your God shall deliver to you; your eye shall not pity them: neither shall you serve their gods; for that will be a snare to you.

Deu_7:16 And you shall eat all the spoils of the nations which the Lord your God gives to you; your eye shall not spare them, and you shall not serve their gods; for this is an offense to you.

Deu_7:16  καὶ φάγῃ πάντα τὰ σκῦλα τῶν ἐθνῶν, ἃ κύριος ὁ θεός σου δίδωσίν σοι· οὐ φείσεται ὁ ὀφθαλμός σου ἐπ᾿ αὐτοῖς, καὶ οὐ λατρεύσεις τοῖς θεοῖς αὐτῶν, ὅτι σκῶλον τοῦτό ἐστίν σοι.

>> Sync: HAH/SPI (v 15) | MAEb  (v 15) | TOC (v 15-16)

 

 

---------------

 

1Co_5:13 CAB  But those who are outside God will judge. Therefore "put away the evil person from yourselves."

1Co_5:13  τους δε εξω ο θεος κρινει Aεξαρατε TSBκαι TSBεξαρειτε τον πονηρον εξ υμων αυτων

 

---------------

 

Solders?

 

Elliott Nesch (~6/29/17)

“You mentioned martyrs who were soldiers. Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Tertullian, and Origen understood the New Covenant commandment to “love your enemies” to be a fulfillment of the prophecies, “neither shall they learn war any more” in Isaiah 2:4 and Micah 4:3. Based upon this command to “love your enemies,” the early Christians were without exception opposed to participation in warfare. According to Hippolytus, soldiers of the civil authority were taught not to kill men and to refuse to do so if he is commanded. Both Tertullian (3.100) and Hippolytus (Apostolic Tradition, 16) mention soldiers and explain the seeming contradiction. As Christians evangelized the Roman Empire, many pagan Roman soldiers were converted. Once baptized, those who were already in the military could not simply resign because leaving the Roman army was punishable by death. Although joining the military was disallowed by the early church, they permitted converted soldiers to remain in the army after baptism so long as they did not use the sword, swear oaths, or participate in idolatrous practices.

Even the Nicene Council forbid military service and set a penance for those who violated their former repentance. The First Council of Nicaea (325) declared: "As many as were called by grace, and displayed the first zeal, having cast aside their military girdles, but afterwards returned, like dogs, to their own vomit, (so that some spent money and by means of gifts regained their military stations); let these, after they have passed the space of three years as hearers, be for ten years prostrators. But in all these cases it is necessary to examine well into their purpose and what their repentance appears to be like. For as many as give evidence of their conversions by deeds, and not pretense, with fear, and tears, and perseverance, and good works, when they have fulfilled their appointed time as hearers, may properly communicate in prayers; and after that the bishop may determine yet more favorably concerning them. But those who take the matter with indifference, and who think the form of [not] entering the Church is sufficient for their conversion, must fulfill the whole time."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155536419980159&set=a.93689355158.106717.515225158&type=3&theater

6/29/17

 

SeraphimAmelia Schwab I agree. Even the Russians unjustly supported the tsars. Tolstoy wrote about the insanity of the priest blessing the weapons of the soldiers before they went to bash out the brains of poor people. The communist revolution was a partial consequence.”

 

---------------

 

Enforced Death Penalty

4/15/17

 

Lev 20:12 WEB  " 'If a man lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have committed a perversion; their blood shall be upon them.

Lev 20:12 LB  And if anyone should lie with his daughter-in-law, let them both be put to death; for they have committed perversion, they are guilty.

Lev 20:12  καὶ ἐάν τις κοιμηθῇ μετὰ νύμφης αὐτοῦ, θανάτῳ θανατούσθωσαν ἀμφότεροι· ἠσεβήκασιν γάρ, ἔνοχοί εἰσιν.

 

this did not happen "from the beginning"

 

---------------

Luk_12:13 CAB  Then someone from the crowd said to Him, "Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me."

Luk_12:13  Εἶπε δέ τις αὐτῷ ἐκ τοῦ ὄχλου· διδάσκαλε, εἰπὲ τῷ ἀδελφῷ μου μερίσασθαι μετ᾿ ἐμοῦ τὴν κληρονομίαν.

Luk_12:14 But He said to him, "Man, who appointed Me a judge or an arbitrator over you?"

Luk_12:14  ὁ δὲ εἶπεν αὐτῷ· ἄνθρωπε, τίς με κατέστησε δικαστήν ἢ μεριστὴν ἐφ᾿ ὑμᾶς;

Luk_12:15  And He said to them, "Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

Luk_12:15  εἶπε δὲ πρὸς αὐτούς, ὁρᾶτε καὶ φυλάσσεσθε ἀπὸ πάσης πλεονεξίας· ὅτι οὐκ ἐν τῷ περισσεύειν τινὶ ἡ ζωὴ αὐτοῦ ἐστιν ἐκ τῶν ὑπαρχόντων αὐτοῦ.

>> Sync: JCH | RiFi | TOC | JojBB

---------------

10/30/16

Jas: you have murdered the just, and he did not resist you

---------------

10/27/16

https://www.facebook.com/elliott.nesch/posts/10154707680415159

First of all, Jesus said “not to resist evildoers”, and to “turn the other cheek”, to “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you” (Matt 5:38-45; Luke 6:29-31). You cannot possibly love your enemy and kill them. When taken at face value, there is no way to justify a Christian going to war. Unfortunately these commandments have been explained away by centuries of theology beginning with the Just War theory.

Jesus himself was “harmless” (Heb 7:26). He likewise taught us to be “harmless as doves” (Matt 10:16-23). Paul the apostle exhorted us to be “harmless” (Phil 2:15). Jesus said “I send you forth as lambs among wolves” (Luke 10:3). Paul said, “As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter” (Romans 8:36). Lambs, sheep and doves are truly harmless; they don't fight back!

This teaching of nonresistance was reiterated by the apostles of Christ who taught the same and likewise laid down their lives as martyrs in the footsteps of Christ. Paul wrote, “being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it” (1 Cor 4:12); “Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?” (1 Cor 6:7). Again, Paul wrote, “See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men” (1 Thes 5:15). Some people esteem war and self defense as a necessary evil, but Christians are not to overcome evil with evil, but overcome evil with good. Again, Peter wrote, “Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing” (1 Pet 3:8-12). Likewise James the Lord's brother said, “Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you” (Jas 5:6). He does not resist you. Christians are to be nonresistant unto death!

The Old Covenant allowed resisting evildoers and killing your enemies, but not in the New. The disciples were acting according to the Old Covenant when they wanted to call fire down from heaven, but Jesus rebuked them and said, “Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them” (Luke 9:24,51-56). If you are destroying men's lives, you do not have the spirit of Christ.

Jesus warned us “they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake” (Matt 24:6-9). We should not kill them, but they will kill us. Likewise, “And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them” (Rev 11:7). What are our options when face with violent persecution? Jesus said, “when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another” (Matt 10:16-23). Notice what Jesus did: “They rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. But he passing through the midst of them went his way” (Luke 4:29-31)

It is true that earthly governments are ordained by God to punish evildoers (Romans 13:1-4; 1 Peter 2:13-14). But Christians can have no part of administering that punishment as police officers, judges, soldiers or kings. Keep in mind that the wicked ruler Nero was in power when Paul wrote Romans 13:1-4 but the Christians stayed out of Roman politics and wars. Immediately before Paul's teaching on earthly governments in Romans 13, he wrote to Christians, "Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. . . . Recompense to no man evil for evil. . . Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good” (Romans 12:14-21).

Could you imagine the Christian disciples in Rome going to war against the Christian disciples in Jerusalem in the war of 70 AD? Could you imagine the apostle Paul fighting for the Roman army against the apostle Peter in the Jerusalem army? How much more should a Christian not participate in war and kill unbelievers, let alone their beloved brethren! The enemies of Israel at the time Jesus said "Love your enemies" were the Roman armies. It would be absurd to think that the Jewish disciples could love the Romans and kill them, or that the Roman disciples could love the Jews and kill them. Jesus said, "“And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto” (Luke 21:20-21).

Jesus explained, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence” (John 18:36). The kingdom of God has supremacy over all earthly nations. The disciples of Jesus do not fight because they are citizens of a heavenly kingdom.

Christians are at war but our battle is not against flesh and blood: “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;” (2 Cor 10:4); Also, “we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” (Eph 6:12). Thus Christians are forbidden to war against flesh with swords, guns and bombs. Jesus would never drop bombs on his enemies or the enemies of any given nation. Jesus disarmed every Christian when He rebuked Peter and said, “Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword” (Matt 26:52; John 18:11).

James spoke about wars when he said this: “From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. (Jas 4:1-4). When we go to war, we are enemies of God.

Repeatedly Jesus said, “whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it” (Matt 16:25; Luke 9:24; 17:33; John 12:25).

Jesus was blindfolded and beaten. They mocked him, spit on Him and ripped his beard from his cheeks. They scourged his back. They pierced his head with a crown of thorns. They stripped him naked and nailed his hands and feet to the cross! He loved His enemies and forgave them. The King of kings both taught and lived nonresistance. Peter the Apostle specifically pointed to the example of Christ's nonresistance that we need to follow as Christians. “For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously” (1 Pet 2:21-23). This is not a matter of conscience but a matter of salvation. How can a person be a follower of Jesus without actually following Jesus?

---------------

8/31/16

Zec 9:10 WEB  I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem; and the battle bow will be cut off; and he will speak peace to the nations: and his dominion will be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.

Zec 9:10 LB And He shall destroy the chariots out of Ephraim, and the horse out of Jerusalem, and the bow of war shall be utterly destroyed; and there shall be abundance and peace out of the nations; and He shall rule over the waters as far as the sea, and the rivers to the ends of the earth.

Zec 9:10  καὶ ἐξολεθρεύσει ἅρματα ἐξ Εφραιμ καὶ ἵππον ἐξ Ιερουσαλημ, καὶ ἐξολεθρευθήσεται τόξον πολεμικόν, καὶ πλῆθος καὶ εἰρήνη ἐξ ἐθνῶν· καὶ κατάρξει ὑδάτων ἕως θαλάσσης καὶ ποταμῶν διεκβολὰς γῆς.

>> comp War context that follows!

---------------

6/29/16

Pro 17:5 WEB  Whoever mocks the poor reproaches his Maker. He who is glad at calamity shall not be unpunished.

Pro 17:5 LB He that laughs at the poor provokes Him that made him, and he that rejoices at the destruction of another shall not be held guiltless; but he that has compassion shall find mercy.

Pro 17:5  ὁ καταγελῶν πτωχοῦ παροξύνει τὸν ποιήσαντα αὐτόν, ὁ δὲ ἐπιχαίρων ἀπολλυμένῳ οὐκ ἀθῳωθήσεται· ὁ δὲ ἐπισπλαγχνιζόμενος ἐλεηθήσεται.

---------------

The Extent of New Covenant “Violence”

6/27/16

Domestic Discipline -- this has never changed (fundamentally speaking)

Jesus overturning tables & throwing people out!

Act 5:1-11 CAB  But a certain man named Ananias, together with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession.  2  And he kept back for himself from the price, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and placed it beside the feet of the apostles.  3  But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart for you to lie to the Holy Spirit, and for you to keep back for yourself from the price of the land?  4  While it remained unsold, did it not remain yours? And after it was sold, was it not in your control? Why have you purposed this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."  5  Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and died. And great fear came upon all those hearing these things.  6  And the young men rose up and covered him up, carried him out, and buried him.  7  And it happened about three hours later, that his wife, not knowing what had happened, came in.  8  And Peter answered her, "Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?" She said, "Yes, for so much."  9  Then Peter said to her, "Why is it that it was agreed by you to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they shall carry you out."  10  Then immediately she fell down beside his feet and died. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her with her husband.  11  And great fear came to be on all the church and upon all those who were hearing these things.

Act_13:6-17 – Paul vs. Elymas / Bar-Jesus

Didymos?

Rev_11: -- two witnesses

---------------

TOC Doesn’t Include Religious People

Other dates; 12/30/15 (more officially compiled); 3/12/17

 

>> both Jesus and Paul did not turn the other cheek to hypocritical people commanding that they be struck

>> righteous finances…

>>>> Presumptuous Blasphemies Against the Patriarchs

Original Context of “Giving”

>> re-read Mat_5: / Luk_6: context… what are the clues??

Includes the poor

>> incl. rich powerful rulers / government

Give to everyone, or not including religious people? -- biggest pending question…

Is it limited by the same principle as slapping? (since they are said mostly together…)

TOC Does Not Include Religious Proud People

Jesus Being Stricken

Joh_18:23 – If I have said evil, then testify to the evil.

If I have said well, why do you command me to be striked?

Paul Being Stricken

Act_23:1-3

Critical Note:

Although many people exploit the honesty of the Scriptures as leverage to despise Paul and accuse him of non-inspiration (just as the demonic apostates among the Corinthians: __<<esp. when they though he was “late”/ uninspired in his planning in 2Co_:>>___), yet we should note that the real Jesus actually approved and encouraged Paul this same night:

Act 23:11

Furthermore, Paul’s prophecy seems to have actually been a true and God fulfilled it by truly having this apostate priest striken and killed:

>>>

Commentaries?

>> WIKI?

Other False Accusations Against Paul

This is ver similar to people trying to despise Paul for not taking john mark along with them, but,

- it was barnabas who saled out of the pages of Acts, not Paul

- the answer is given right afterward: they commended Paul (not Barnabas) by God’s favor

- Paul stayed resolute that what he did was right. Even when people say Paul had changed his tune over this incident, he ctually keeps saying the same thing in these very verses, continually reaffirming the insiration that he truly had in Acts…

>> See: RTF BBS Notes:  Bible Summaries: BBSUM: the Story of Paul, Mark, Barnabas, Demas and Onesimus

Paul Teaching About Being Stricken

2Co_11:20, etc. --

>> get context

---------------

1/21/13; 1/25/13; 1/28/13

 

Wis 11:23-26 Brenton  But thou hast mercy upon all; for thou canst do all things, and winkest at the sins of men, because they should amend.  24  For thou lovest all the things that are, and abhorrest nothing which thou hast made: for never wouldest thou have made any thing, if thou hadst hated it.  25  And how could any thing have endured, if it had not been thy will? or been preserved, if not called by thee?  26  But thou sparest all: for they are thine, O Lord, thou lover of souls.

 

>> also see following context in CH 12!

 

Esp. ex. Wis_12:8, 10, 15-16, 18-19